Low Sodium Dog Food 2018 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Low sodium dog food is a practical option for dogs in some cases. Similar to several other elements of your dog’s daily diet, a useful amount of sodium is essential for life, but in excessive quantities, it can be toxic. Dogs are likely to take in more sodium than actually needed, and they have multiple ways to naturally pass the excess sodium (such as increased water consumption and urination).
However, there are certain dogs that will benefit from being fed a low sodium diet. A typical health complaint related to excess sodium intake relates to congestive heart failure, while certain kidney and liver issues can also be a deciding factor.
A dog with congestive heart failure will experience issues with fluid build up which is made worse when the body already has a high amount of salt in place. By naturally lowering the level of sodium in the system, this will help to relieve some of the pressure on the organs to give a great all-round boost to the health.
Let’s take a look at the best low sodium dog food options:
1) Hill’s Science Diet Small & Toy Breed – Low Sodium Dry Dog Food
The Hill’s Science Diet Small & Toy Breed Dry Dog Food is intentionally made with small sized kibble to make it easy to eat for small breeds with the smaller mouths. It has a healthy mix of ingredients that are easy-to-digest and precisely balanced to give a delightful taste for your dog. Each pack of this dry food is packed with a decent volume of calcium and protein to give the proper support to bones and muscles. The complex mix of vitamins C and E with antioxidants helps to promote the strong and effective immune system. Plus, the vitamin E and omega-6 fatty acids content are appreciated for giving the healthy skin and shiny coat.
- Dry dog food that is well-balanced to give the proper nutrition to adult dogs that weigh 25 pounds or less
- Made with high-quality ingredients that contain no artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors
- Rich in Vitamins C and E as well as antioxidants to not only promote long life but also to enhance the immunity system
2) Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated – Organic Grain Dog Food
The high-quality Honest Kitchen Revel is a type of dehydrated dog food that is perfectly balanced for all dog breeds at any life stage. The high fat and protein content in this organic grain dog food make it a welcome choice for both active adult dogs and lively puppies. The high brand ingredients and hearty recipe have the ability to deliver 100% human-grade food that is entirely free of undesirable elements like wheat, beet pulp, rice, soy, and corn. Plus, it is quick and easy to prepare for your hungry dog. Simply add the right volume of warm water and wait three minutes for the healthy and delicious meal.
- Give maximum nutrition to adult dogs and puppies thanks to the organic whole grain content with free range chicken
- Useful dog food for all breeds and sizes
- Easy to use and prepare for the dehydrated formula that is ready to serve in a matter of minutes.
- Entirely free of GMO ingredients, preservatives, and by-products
3) Greenies Pill Pockets For Dogs, 30 Chicken Pockets for Capsules – Dog Food With Low Sodium
The Greenies Pill Pockets are a simple 100% natural, tasty treat with a useful built-in pocket that is perfect for hiding liquid medication, capsules or tablets. The delightful taste of these treats means your dog isn’t likely to even notice the medicine is hidden inside. The pill pockets are made with all-natural ingredient with low-sodium, less fat and fewer calories than common human foods like tuna and cheese. Plus, this useful dog food with low sodium contains a useful amount of vitamins C and E for proper support of the immune system. A further practical feature is the ability to fully mask any taste or smell of the medicine to put less stress on the dog and make it easy for their owners.
- A high-quality dog food option for concealing medicine
- A great alternative to using human food with its low-sodium and low-fat content
- Very quick and easy to use – simply place the tablet in the center of the treat and you are all set
- Useful at masking any undesirable smell or taste of the liquid medication or capsules
4) Fruitables Broth Bowls Pet Safe Natural Chicken Food Topper – Low Sodium Canned Dog Food
The Fruitables Broth Bowls are a great addition to the dog’s day-to-day food to give a little extra boost with a delightful homemade stock with a rich and savory flavor. Use this low-sodium dog food addition to turn the once boring food into something that is more of a delight and gives the proper hydration and digestion support. Plus, this food topper is very low in calories with a mere 2 calories per ounce serving. This makes it a practical choice for raw, canned or dry foods. A further great quality is the ability to encourage your dog to lick their food and stop any previous gulping action which is less desirable for the digestive system.
- A simple, yet effective topper to add to any meal of the day
- A delightful homemade stock that adds a delightfully rich and savory flavor
- Eliminates the plain or boring food from your dog’s diet
- Gives great all-round support to the hydration and digestion
- Works well with all kinds of diets from dry to wet
5) BLUE Life Protection Formula – Adult Dry Dog Food
The BLUE Life Protection Formula for adult dogs is specially formulated to promote the all-round well-being of the small breed adult dogs. It is packed with only the healthiest natural ingredients such as the de-boned chicken that is not only protein rich, but also delicious. Other healthy ingredients include fruit, garden vegetables, and whole grains. This adult dog food is entirely free of artificial preservatives, flavors, and colors, as well as undesirable elements like soy, wheat, corn and by-products. Also, to comply with the needs of the small dog breeds, this food has a useful amount of carbohydrates and protein to match the high energy needs.
- Made with high-quality and delicious ingredients such as de-boned chicken, vegetables, and fruit.
- Entirely free of undesirable elements like artificial preservatives, flavors, and colors
- Does not include ingredients like soy, wheat, corn, or by-products
6) Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food – Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Formula
The L.I.D – Limited Ingredient Diets dog food is rich in premium-quality carbohydrate and protein sources to give a great alternative to typical dog food. The healthy ingredients are useful for promoting the luxurious coat, healthy skin and great digestive health. This dog food is specially made with a limited number of ingredients for better all-round health. For instance, in the lamb meal, the meat is the sole source of protein. Also, other active ingredients include canola oil to provide a reliable source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. This premium food is perfect for puppies and adults at any age and certain to appeal to the energetic dogs.
- Healthy ingredients that limit the total ingredients dogs are given in their diet
- Promotes the healthy and effective digestive system
- Gives all-round nutrition to match the needs of the dog at all life stages
- Contains no artificial preservatives, colors or flavors
7) Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d Cardiac Health (17.6 lb) – Low Sodium Dry Dog Food
The Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d Cardiac Health Dry food is purposely made with a low volume of sodium to help the aging dogs and avoid issues related to high blood pressure. This low sodium dry dog food is rich in taurine to help promote the right cardiac muscle metabolism. Other healthful ingredients include L-carnitine for the better heart function, while the higher levels of magnesium and B vitamins are useful for replenishing nutrients lost when diuretics are received. Use this dry dog food to promote the all-round health of your aging four-legged friend.
- Uses ingredients that are naturally low in sodium to help control and maintain the blood pressure
- A useful amount of taurine is included for better cardiac muscle metabolism support
- Benefit from healthy heart function with the high L-Carnitine levels
- Magnesium and B vitamins included helping replace any lost nutrients
The ROYAL CANIN Canine Hepatic Dry is a practical choice for dog’s experiencing liver related health complaints. If the dog’s liver is compromised, there is a high risk that the entire body will be suffering. For this reason, the canine hepatic is a type of low sodium dog food that gives the desired support to promote better health for the liver and health in general.
- The naturally low sodium content of this dog food helps to control the pet’s blood pressure
- The boosted zinc and low copper content is useful for stopping or slowing the natural build-up of metal in the liver
- Easily digestible food rich in carbohydrates, protein, and vegetables
- High in B vitamins and fiber for better all-round health
- A rich amount of omega-3 fatty acids is included to help eliminate issues with inflammation that impact the dog’s system
9) Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d Cardiac Health Dog Food 12 x 13oz cans – Low Sodium Wet Dog Food
The Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d Cardiac Health Dog Food is a special type of dog food that helps promote the better blood pressure. This low sodium wet dog food is perfect for the aging dog while the taurine content is highly effective at supporting cardiac muscle metabolism. Also, this healthy food is rich in L-carnitine, which is an essential component to help promote the all-round health of the heart, and the magnesium and B vitamins are useful for replacing nutrients lost in the process of receiving diuretics.
- Naturally low in sodium to help maintain the proper blood pressure for your dog
- Benefit from greater support for the cardiac muscle metabolism because of the high taurine content
- Supports the healthy heart function thanks to the high concentration of L-Carnitine
- A useful amount of magnesium and B vitamins to give back the nutrients lost at the time of receiving diuretics
10) ROYAL CANIN Canine Hepatic Dry (26.4 lb) – Dog Food That Control and Maintain the dog’s Blood Pressure
The Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Hepatic LS is a dry type of dog food that is easily digestible and highly palatable. It is purposely made to help dog’s suffering from liver disease and is formulated to be low in copper content. The active ingredients in this food include the restricted copper, increased zinc, high level of dietary fiber, and high-quality protein sourced from vegetables. Plus, this food is a rich and reliable source of antioxidants.
- Practical dog food that helps to control and maintain the dog’s blood pressure
- Natural ingredients are given a zinc boost and copper reduction to avoid issues related to metal build-up in the pet’s liver
- Easy to digest food with great carbohydrates and vegetable protein
- High levels of B vitamins and fiber for better all-round health
- A useful amount of omega-3 fatty acids to help lower the risk of inflammation
If your dog is suffering from poor health, such as issued related to heart disease, it is essential that the dry or wet food is chosen is high-quality and can benefit that actual health complaint. In the event of a serious health issue like this, it is encouraged to look at one of the low sodium canned dog food options. In truth, there are plenty of commercial-grade dog foods that are low in salt and give the desired protein, but it can be difficult to know which is the best simply for reading the labels. Once you are able to determine the best low sodium dog food to promote your pet’s health, you will be in a position to improve their quality of life and longevity.